Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thanksgiving

My life is a simple thing that would interest no one. It is a known fact that I was born and that is all that is necessary.” - Albert Einstein

Today's simple pleasures: a sleeping baby who no longer requires repeated reminders of "no" or timeout, dinner that I do not have to cook, time away from work, coffee at 9 am instead of 6.

It is true that most of us live "small" lives. Small, meaning we touch the lives of only a very few and will probably be remembered by fewer. However, "insignificant" we are not. Like pebbles being thrown into pools of water...our impact on our environment may be small, but it is not inconsequential. Every action for which we are responsible is never without effect. It is important, I think, that we remember this. But it is also a good thing to remember that we are also not as important as we sometimes think. Small. It's a small word that means many things. There are small things, small people, small dreams. The word's connotations can be both good and bad. The main reason it is my adjective of choice.

Today is Thanksgiving. And I am grateful for many small things: two quiet dogs nestled at my feet, a sleeping child, a companion willing to provide space for my thoughts.

My life is small. And that is good.



No comments: